Swartzia Leiocalycina Benth
ATIBT Standard Name: Ferreol
Other Name: Montouchi, Panacoco,
Wood Appearance: Heartwood chocolate
to purplish-brown with darker purple streaks, giving the wood
an attractive appearance.
- Sapwood - white/ pale in colour, sharply demarcated from
heartwood; sapwood and heartwood often used in furniture to
give two-toned effect.
- Texture - fine.
- Grain - straight sometimes irregular.
- Bole - 60-70 feet long, cylinderical; diameter 16-20 inches.
Physical and Mechanical Properties:
Very hard, very heavy wood. Medium movement. Excellent mechanical
- Weight - 1000-12000 kg/m3 (62-75 lb/ft3 ) seasoned.
- Bending Strength -
- Modulus of elasticity -
- Compression parallel to grain -
- Shock resistance -
Natural Durability: Heartwood
durable and extremely resistant to insects and decay, but not
to marine borers. The heartwood resists preservative treatment,
but the sapwood is permeable.
- Drying - Kiln Schedule B. Dries slowly with appreciable surface
checking and end-splitting, but distortion is not serious.
- Working - Difficult to work owing to hardness and interlocked
grain. Easy to scrape and sand and gives a fine finish. Suitable
for bends of moderate radius of curvature if well supported
with a metal strap.
- Assembly - Difficult to nail and screw and liable to split,
but fastenings are held well.
- Finishing - Finishes smoothly and polishes well. Stains will
not penetrate the timber.
Uses: Suitable for interior
decorative work and fittings. Can be used for cabinet work, furniture
making, flooring, panelling. Very suitable for inlay work and
Supplies: Occurs frequently
in the Guyana Forests. Reasonable supplies are available.