ATIBT Standard Name: Umiri
Other Name: Basrabolletrie,
Oloroso, Chanul, Tabaniro
Wood Appearance: Heartwood varies
from fawn colour to reddish-brown.
- Sapwood - not well defined.
- Texture - lustre and texture medium to fine.
- Grain - straight.
- Bole - 60-70 feet long, cylinderical; diameter 20-28 inches.
Physical and Mechanical Properties:
Very hard, strong dense and highly durable wood. Medium shrinkage,
very stable once dry. Very good mechanical properties, good elasticity
and impact resistance.
- Weight - 900kg/m3 (56 lb/ft3 ) seasoned.
- Bending Strength -
- Modulus of elasticity -
- Compression parallel to grain -
- Shock resistance -
Natural Durability: Highly
durable. Resistant to fungal attack even under unfavourable conditions
of use. Good resistance to termite attack.
- Drying - Dries relatively well without difficulty.
- Working - Saws without particular trouble. Machines clearly.
Planes and turns without difficulty. Finishes smoothly even
on the end-grain.
- Assembly - Glues well, nails and screws hold well.
- Finishing - Vanishes and polishes without trouble.
Uses: Suitable for general
house construction, panelling and flooring. Its attractive appearance
makes it suitable for furniture and decorative purposes. It can
be used for wheelwright work, counters and workbench tops.
Supplies: Species fairly abundant
in Guyana. Adequate supplies to meet any regular demand.