ATIBT Standard Name: Bios Macaque
Other Name: Red Peroba, Peroba
Rosa, Kromanti Kipi
Wood Appearance: Tan to rose-red,
often streaked with purple or brown and becoming brownish-yellow
to medium brown on exposure.
- Sapwood - yellowish, paler than heartwood, but not sharply
- Texture - fine and uniform
- Grain - straight to irregular
- Bole - 60-70 feet long, cylinderical; diameter 16-20 inches
Physical and Mechanical Properties:
Hard and strong timber. Bending strength medium and crushing strength
- Weight - 850kg/m3 (53 lb/ft3 ) seasoned.
- Bending Strength -
- Modulus of elasticity -
- Compression parallel to grain -
- Shock resistance -
Natural Durability: Heartwood
very durable and extremely resistant to preservative treatment.
- Drying - Dries without difficulty. Kiln Schedule E.
- Working - Easy to work and finishes well.
- Assembly - Gluing easy but hard to nail.
- Finishing - Takes staining and polishing satisfactorily.
Uses: A good general purpose
wood suitable for construction work requiring strength and durability
and could also be useful for exterior joinery. Also suitable for
panelling, turnery and furniture manufacture.
Supplies: Occurs frequently
in Guyana's forest. Regular supplies are available.