Platonia esculenia (Arruda) Rickett & Stafleu is also
ATIBT Standard Name:
International Trade Name: Baccuri Pakuri
Guyana: Wild Mammee Apple
Brasil: Bacuri, Bacuri-bacuxiuba, Pacuru
French Guiana: Matouni, Mongo Matoaki, Moussa, Pakoueli, Parcouri
Suriname: Bakoeri, Geelhart, Pakoeli
Venezuela: Roble Maria
Wood Appearance: Heartwood yellow
brown with yellow beige streaks or stripes.
- Sapwood - distinct, beige (3-6cm).
- Texture - medium to coarse.
- Grain - straight
- Bole - 18-21(-25m); diameter 0.5-0.8(-1.2)m; height of tree
20-35m; shape of the log straight and cylindrical; base swollen,
or with low thick root spurs.
Physical and Mechanical Properties:
- Weight -
- Bending Strength -
- Modulus of elasticity at 12% - 18200 (N/mm2)
- Compression parallel to grain -
- Shock resistance -
- Green density - 1.10 (g/cm3)
- Air-dry density at 12% - 0.85 (g/cm3)
- Basic specific gravity - 0.77
- Total tangential shrinkage - 10.0 (%)
- Total radial shrinkage 5.4 (%)
- Total volumetric shrinkage (5%) 15.5
- Bending strength at 12% - 163 (N/mm2)
- Crushing strength at 12% - 73 (N/mm2)
Natural Durability: Resistance
is very good; resistance to termites and insects of dry wood is
good. Treatability is poor.
- Drying - Requires care; risks of distortion; risks of checking
more or less high; movement in service large.
- Working - Power required for sawing. Some difficulties due
to hardness or silica content; special tools recommended.
- Assembly - Pre-boring necessary for nailing. Glues well.
- Finishing - Finishes well.
- Veneering - Interesting for slicing.
Uses: Flooring; stairs; furniture;
carpentry; interior and exterior joinery; sliced veneer; hydraulics
works; bridges mouldings