ATIBT Standard Name: Courbaril
Other Name: Copalier, Algarrob,
Wood Appearance: Heartwood light
brown to brown often with dark streaks and with a subdued golden
- Sapwood - whitish grey colour is sharply defined
- Texture - medium coarse
- Grain - straight, lustre medium, uniform vessel lines distinct
- Bole - 60-80 feet long, cylinderical; diameter 24-36 inches
Physical and Mechanical Properties:
Very hard and strong. Moderate shrinkage, relatively stable once
dry. Good mechanical properties, especially elasticity.
- Weight - 910 - 1000 kg/m3 (57 - 62 lb/ft3 ) seasoned.
- Bending Strength -
- Modulus of elasticity -
- Compression parallel to grain -
- Shock resistance -
Natural Durability: Very resistant
- Drying - Dries readily without distortion of splitting.
- Working - Moderately difficult to work but finishes smoothly.
Planes and turns without difficulty. Good bending to steaming
- Assembly - Glues well, but difficult to nail. Fastenings are
- Finishing - Finishes smoothly. Polishes and varnishes without
Uses: A wood of decorative
appearance suitable for use in the manufacture of high grade furniture,
cabinet work, decorative joinery and veneer. Also used for ship-building,
general construction, and the making of tool handles and croquet
Supplies: Occurs widely but
not abundantly in the Guyana forests. Regular supplies in modest
quantities are available.